Visibility and present weather detection
The sensor is optimised for use in aviation applications where both visibility and extended present and past weather information is required. It measures measures visibility, fog, haze, drizzle, snow, hail and other non-frozen precipitation according to WMO table 4680. METAR coded outputs are also provided.
For ultimate visibility performance the visual range extends to 75km allowing use in meteorological observation networks and research applications.
The enhanced present weather information is due to the backscatter receiver which allows detailed precipitation analysis.
Heating of the optical windows and sensor hoods is provided as standard allowing use in the harshest of conditions. All optical windows are monitored for contamination and the visibility output is automatically compensated to reduce maintenance requirements.
The unique design ensures that the output is both accurate and reliable in all weather conditions and will not be influenced by local lights sources, even those that flash.
w/PWD Present weather detector
- Visibility sensor using forward and backward scattering to measure the meteorological optical range and detect the present weather
- 10 m to 75 km measuring range
- Instantaneous and averaged visibility outputs
- Present and past weather by 34 METAR codes
- 39 WMO 4680 codes
- Hood and windows heated
- Comprehensive self-test and maintenance data
- Optical windows monitored for contamination
- Optional ambient light sensor
- RS-232, RS-422 and RS-485 interface
- Automatic or polled mode