Air flow measurement by different transition times of ultrasonic pulses
The air flow monitoring system measures the air flow based on different transmission times of ultrasonic pulses sent in one or the other direction. This cross section measurement delivers the average air speed more reliable and meaningful than methods that measure only one or two points on the tunnel wall.
Two sensors are mounted below the tunnel ceiling, cross section with an angle of 30° to 60° (usually 45°) such that a vector component of the air flow overlaps the direction of the ultrasonic sound pulses exchanged by the two sensors.
Air flow in the tunnel influences the transition time of the pulses between sender and receiver. Based on the difference in transition times of ultrasonic pulses sent in one or the other direction the measured values are calculated.
Measured values are air speed, air flow rate, direction of air flow and air temperature.
Request a quote
t/FL-US Air flow measuring system – ultrasonic
- Precise ultrasonic air flow measuring system based on different transition times of ultrasonic pulses
- Measurement of average airflow over the whole tunnel cross section
- Sensor setup via service interface
- Suitable for tunnel cross sections up to 18 m (Measuring path up to 25 m)
- Connection to tunnel control system either via analogue output and relays or via RS‑485 MODBUS RTU
- Visible LEDs to indicate sensor status
- Optional, remote touch operation unit to display measured values and to modify parameters
- Ultrasound membranes are no expendables
Air flow sensor A (master)
The master sensor is mounted on the tunnel wall and aligned with the slave sensor.
Air flow sensor B (slave)
The slave sensor is mounted on the tunnel wall and aligned with the master sensor.
Terminal box master
The terminal box for the master connects the system to the power supply, the slave and the tunnel control system.
Terminal box slave
The terminal box of the slave connects the slave to the master sensor.
Connection to tunnel control system
The tunnel control system can be connected via the analogue outputs and relay contacts or via the RS-485 MODBUS RTU interface.
Touch operating unit (optional)
A touch operating unit display the measured values and status information. The unit can also be used to configure the sensors. It can connect up to 3 systems.